Here is one more Meghalaya based organization supporting Agriculture and Allied sectors
Department of Agriculture, Govt. of Meghalaya
Address: Director of Agriculture
Cleve Colony, Shillong
Meghalaya - 793003
Contact Number: 0364-2222460
for Dept. of Agriculture: agri-meg[at]nic[dot]in
for Dept. of Horticulture: hort-meg[at]nic[dot]in
Interestingly the Department of Agriculture, Assam, was set up during the British rule, in 1882, and at that time Meghalaya, as we know it now, was part of Assam. After Meghalaya attained statehood in 1972 this department was bifurcated and renamed Dept. of Agriculture, Govt. of Meghalaya.
Goals of the Department of Agriculture, Meghalaya
- Attaining Food Security and Sustainable Growth by increasing production of food grains and improving productivity.
- Augment Farmer’s Income through growing of suitable horticultural crops
- Promote Commercial Agriculture through low volume high value crops
- Creation of need based Marketing Infrastructure including institutional support and supporting facilities
- Popularise Participatory Approach to agriculture management through watershed programmes and Self Help Groups at village level.
The Department of Agriculture has a vast mandate
The Directorate performs the statutory functions under various acts and regulations (i.e., quality control) to ensure supply of quality inputs i.e., Seeds, Fertilizers and Pesticides to farmers. It also carries out certain other facilitating functions such as,
- Soil testing
- Watershed management
- Soil survey
- Credit assessment / arrangements
- Media production
- Training to farmers
- Arranging Plant protection campaigns/Diagnostic team visits whenever necessary
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Disaster management
- Crop insurance
- Agricultural mechanization
- Extending technical assistance to various agencies etc.
Read a post on our blog about Intelligent Advisory System for Farmers of Meghalaya by Mr. Canning Shabong, Asst. Director of Agriculture.
Back to the list of Meghalaya Based Organizations Supporting Agriculture & Allied Sector