Every time you buy black pepper spice, remember that this spice holds more benefits than you can imagine. Black pepper belongs to “Piperaceae family”, this pepper plant is processed in multiple ways to yield a different kind of pepper variety. For instance, the dried fruit is the black pepper and the white pepper is the seed from the matured fruits of the pepper plant.
History of Black Pepper
Pepper originally belongs to South India, it is grown in other tropical countries as well. Black pepper has played an important role in history and has been considered as an important spice since a long time. In ancient Greece, black pepper spice was used as a form of currency and has played a pivotal role in the spice trade across the world. (source)
The spiciness of the black pepper powder can be attributed to the chemical piperine that is present in black pepper. And, because of this feature, it is widely used in different cuisines both for cooking and as garnish. But this spice also comes with a lot of health benefits.
Is Black Pepper Good for You?
Black pepper aids in digestion and helps in relieving cough and the common cold. Folks who consume black pepper powder regularly may not know that it has numerous health benefits. It is rich in mineral content and is classified as a medicinal spice.
Here Are a Few Health Benefits of Black Pepper:
- Aids in stimulating digestion: The piperine compound in black pepper helps to increase the digestion process by stimulating the stomach. Black pepper increases the secretion of hydrochloric acid thus it helps to digest amino acid in food faster. So, adding black pepper to your food, it will help to digest the food faster.
- Aids in relieving cold and cough: Black pepper has natural antibacterial properties and can help to treat cough and cold. Simply take a teaspoon of raw honey and add crushed pepper to help sooth chest congestion or coughs. You can also add black pepper in eucalyptus oil with hot water and inhale the steam.
- Aids in weight loss: Black pepper is an excellent spice to increase the absorption of nutrients present in other food. The outer covering of black pepper contains phytonutrients that aids in breaking down the fats of cells and simultaneously increases metabolism. Even if you eat fresh pepper, you will sweat, this will thus will help remove excess toxins. The only thing you need to take care is to control the rate of consumption.
- Aids in improving the skin: The best way to effectively use black pepper on the skin is to crush and use it as an exfoliate. However, do not use it directly but apply it with honey and curd. It naturally enables the blood circulation of the skin and elevates the health of the skin.
- Aids in enhancing the bioavailability of other ingredients: Black pepper spice enhances the absorption and the transportation of nutrients to different parts of the body. Thus, maximizing the absorption of nutrients from other healthy food that we consume. It not only adds flavors but allows nutrients to be more accessible to the body system.
These are some of the health benefits associated with black pepper powder. Do you know any other? If you do let us know in the comment section below.