Cinnamon is a well-known spice for its uses in both sweet and savory foods. It has also played a key role in traditional medicines across various cultures. Though popularly used for flavoring and as condiment in cooking, its medicinal benefits have been recognized through the years.
Production of Cinnamon in India
In India, the southern states account for the highest production, with Kerala at the top of the chart. As per a 2016 statistics, the global cinnamon exports amounted to US $484 million, wherein India’s share stood at $4.8 million source
Cinnamon and Meghalaya
In Meghalaya, Cinnamon is grown using traditional farming methods. Zizira explorers came across a lady farmer growing this spice at Mawtnum village, Ri-Bhoi district.
In Meghalaya, Cinnamon is grown using traditional farming methods.
Benefits of Cinnamon for a Glowing Skin:
- Heals Acne: The anti-fungal, antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties of cinnamon makes it useful against acne and skin blemishes. Cinnamon can also help remove acne by drying out the skin and by supporting blood flow to the skin.
How? Mix honey with cinnamon powder in the ratio of 3:1 and apply the paste to your skin and leave overnight. You can also apply a thin layer of the paste to your face as a face mask and leave on for 20 minutes, then wash it off.
*Cinnamon masks may irritate the skin depending on the skin type, so they should not be applied more than once a week.
- Adds moisture to the Skin: Cinnamon improves blood flow to the surface of the skin, resulting in a moist skin. For this, use a mixture of 3 drops of cinnamon essential oil and a few tablespoons of petroleum jelly or olive oil. Keep the mixture away from the eye to avoid a burning sensation.
This mixture could be a great substitute to your lip gloss. You can also apply any regular lip gloss on your lips and gently pat a pinch of cinnamon on top.
- Aids the treatment of Dry Skin: Cinnamon helps remove dead skin cells and reinstate the softness of your skin. To fight against dry skin, you can make a scrub by combining salt, olive oil, almond oil, honey and ground cinnamon. Apply this mixture directly to your skin for a soothing home skin therapy.
- Treatment of Eczema: Eczema is a condition in which skin gets inflamed and irritated. Such skin conditions leave behind light-colored patches. Cinnamon could provide relief from eczema.
How? Mix one teaspoon of cinnamon with one teaspoon of honey and apply on the affected areas. The results could be visible in a week.
Note: Before using it, try in on a small test area in your skin and wash off instantly if the skin becomes red.
- Complexion Enhancer: Thanks to the antifungal and antibacterial properties, cinnamon helps in enhancing skin complexion. Mix the ingredients: Banana, ground cinnamon, yogurt and lemon juice, and pound it to an even paste. Apply on your face and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing with lukewarm water.
Do you know any other benefits of Cinnamon? Do share with us in the comment section below.