Most of us love honey! We are drawn to this natural sweet substance for its color, taste and most importantly, its incredible health benefits.
Naturally sweet, with a high fructose content, it is delicious and good for health. Unlike sugar, artificial sweeteners or syrups, honey comes loaded with nutrition.
Honey is full of natural minerals and vitamins that include vitamin B complex, Vitamins E and C.
It also contains thiamine, niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid. Minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, selenium, chromium, potassium, zinc, sodium, and phosphorus are also present in honey.
Honey Is Packed With Goodness!
Did you know?
The collection of honey is an ancient human practice which has been around for more than 8000 years.
We have compiled for you the health benefits of honey and its uses for everyday purpose and as a remedy for health problems.
Health Benefits of Honey
- Honey as an energy booster: Honey is rich in carbohydrates, providing 17 grams of carbs per tablespoon. It is thus a good energy source for your body, a fuel, to energize your body. Use it in fruit smoothies or tea for a quick energy boost in the morning!
- Honey as an antibacterial and anti-fungal: According to Peter Molan, director of the Honey Research Unit at the University of Waikato in New Zealand, honey bees add an enzyme that makes hydrogen peroxide. This gives honey the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It helps in the treatment of disorders such as ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis.
- Honey as natural healing for skin: Honey has anti-bacterial properties that are perfect for healing skin conditions such as scars, scrapes, and burns. It also has anti-microbial properties, stimulates the growth of tissues in wounds, which speeds up the healing process. The moisture content of honey helps promote the healing process by protecting it from all the outside elements and keeping it moist. Honey is also effective in healing acne and scars. The anti-inflammatory properties are good for reducing the redness and swelling associated with acne.
Note: Honey can be used as a face mask or an exfoliating scrub. After applying it to your skin, you can wash your face with water to get rid of all the dirt.
- Honey as a source of anti-oxidants: The antioxidants found in honey is great for getting rid of body toxins and helps in the cleansing process of the body. The antioxidants in honey help protect your body from cell damages due to free radicals. According to studies conducted by US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health, the anti-oxidants present in honey could play a major role in preventing heart diseases.
- Honey as an anti-allergen: Natural honey contains traces of pollen which is why it acts as a natural vaccine and the body gets immunity. This allows the body to build a defense system against pollens. If you are suffering from a runny nose, itchy and watery eyes or itchy throat, you can start the healing process by taking a spoonful of honey. Make sure that the honey you are consuming is raw and naturally produced.
Note: Raw honey contains enzymes, minerals, nutrients, and pollen. Pasteurizing or heating the honey kills the nutrients and pollen, which is why you cannot benefit from the allergy-fighting properties.
- Honey as cough suppressant: Honey can be used as a natural remedy to combat cold symptoms and sore throat. Use honey with warm water and lemon to soothe your throat.
These are thus a few health benefits of honey!
Types of Honey Sold at Zizira
- Zizira Pure Wildflower Honey from Meghalaya: Wildflower honey is from nectar collected by bees in summer months from a variety of wildflowers blooming in the natural hillocks of Meghalaya. It is naturally sweet, with no additives or added flavors. This honey is pure, of uniform liquid consistency, and has a rich dark golden color. It has a delightful taste.
- Zizira Mawsynram Honey: This honey is from Mawsynram, the wettest place on Earth. Mawsynram is a village in the East Khasi Hills district of Meghalaya state in northeastern India, 65 kilometers from Shillong. Mawsynram receives the highest rainfall in India and the World.
Note: Honey is not recommended for infants and children below 6 yrs.
“Meghalaya is home to many florae, both alpine and temperate, supplying pollen and nectar. Minimal use of pesticides in this region provides a good environment for the bees to flourish”. – Kong Iba Blah (Lady Entrepreneur of Meghalaya)
Team Zizira continues to work on creating awareness about honey from Northeast India by exploring for unique varieties to showcase. This is in keeping with our vision to create a market for the unique produce of this region.
Do you know of any health benefits of honey we have missed out in this article? Share it with us in the comment section below. We would love to hear from you!