A south Indian style recipe with fresh pudina leaves. It goes perfectly well with chicken curry, vegetable curry or eat it as it is. A very easy and simple recipe to delight your taste buds. Filled with lingering aroma of freshness.
Perfect to cook for any special occasions or simply to eat on a lazy weekend. It is super easy to make, much easier than cooking biryani.
The good thing about proso millet is that it has a consistent flavor and taste, a delicious one for even those who are new to millets. Proso millet is also an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamin B and essential minerals. Thus, for a healthy diet just start by consuming this wholesome grain.
Here is an easy and healthy Pudina rice recipe using proso millets.
- 1 cup proso millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup mint (pudina) leaves
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ teaspoon bay leaf powder
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oil
- ½ cup cashews (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 pods bird’s eye chilli
- Salt to taste
- Wash 1 cup of proso millets. Now take freshly drawn water in a pressure cooker, add the millets, bay leaf power and salt. Bring it to heat until the pressure cooker whistles. 1 whistle at high flame and 2 whistles in low flame (approx. 10 minutes)
- Now prepare the green chutney. Using a blender make a fine, smooth, paste of coriander, mint leaves, green chillies, garlic, and ginger. Transfer the contents into a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the cinnamon bark, cloves and sauté for 1 minute. Now add the chopped onions and sauté until transparent. Add the cashews and stir for a minute.
- Keep the flame low. Now add the chopped carrot and sauté it for 4 minutes. When the carrots start losing its color, add the mint chutney. Cook the chutney till the raw taste of the mint disappears. Stir it and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Throw in the cooked proso millet and mix it all together. Keep it for 3 minutes.
- Serve it hot.
Pudina rice can be eaten any time of the day with nuts, veggie salad or a simple vegetable stir fry. Try out this recipe, and get creative with it.