Frumenty is a rich, comforting dessert with chewy raisins and fragrant spices. Lighter than most rice porridge with subtle sweetness, it is a perfect dessert and breakfast food.
Although wheat is usually used, we added a little touch of Meghalaya. We used Joha rice sourced from the traditional farmers from Meghalaya. A more innovative use of such an ancient recipe! Try it.
Frumenty – A traditionally old rice porridge eaten widely during medieval times. a symbolic dish in winter, a sign that spring would come. It later came to be served as a festival dish on Twelfth Night. Source
Joha rice is a sweet-scented rice only grown in the Northeast region of India. A special class of aromatic rice with a delicate texture. It is completely different from the famous Basmati rice.
Joha rice is healthy rice and used for making delicious delicacies. During auspicious occasions, people from Meghalaya usually make delightful delicacies using Joha rice, like kheer, pulao, frumenty and arancini. If you pass a house cooking Joha rice, you will find out just by the whiff of this aromatic rice, as it leaves a lingering trail of popcorn like scent.
Easy Food to Make at Home – Recipe for making Sweet Frumenty with Joha rice:
- 1 cup veg or non-veg stock
- 2 cups Aromatic Joha Rice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup cashews
- Pre-heat a vessel and add 2 cups of stock. The stock can be vegetarian or non-vegetarian, as per your choices.
- Add one cup of washed Joha rice. Let it absorb and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After it is cooked add spices of your choices, like pepper or cumin. A few raisins add to the taste.
- Mix some cream to 2 beaten eggs and mix well. Add this mixture to the cooked rice.
- Warm it in on low flame till you get the right soft consistency.
- Move these contents to a clean plate. Use the cashews and raisins as garnish and serve.
Do you know of any easy food to make at home? Share it with us in the comment section below, we would love to try it out!