You might have noticed brown patches in the rice shown above, what are these colored patches? When rice is unmilled or processed using the traditional (and backbreaking) wooden mortar and pestle, it retains a thin layer called bran and germ layer. This very layer makes the rice highly nutritious which otherwise gets removed when rice is machine processed.
Did you know?
The process of milling brown rice to white or polished rice removes 67% of Vitamin B3, 80% of Vitamin B1 and 90% of Vitamin B6.
And now for the recipe! If you are a food enthusiast looking to explore new healthy food habits, this time, we are sharing a pulao recipe using Khasi Red Rice straight from Zizira’s kitchen. So if you are a fan of pulao and fed up with the same old peas pulao, it’s time to try out a pulao with the red rice from Meghalaya.
Here are the Ingredients for the pulao recipe
5 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon ghee
1 cup Khasi red rice
2 chopped mid-sized onions
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
2 cups chopped vegetables (carrots, beans, peas)
20 gm cashews and almonds mix
Salt to taste
- Rinse the Khasi red rice till the water runs clear
- Strain the rice and keep it aside
- Crush or grate the cashews and almonds
Instructions for the pulao recipe
- Heat the ghee and oil in a large pan and add the ginger-garlic paste
- Give it a swirl and wait till the paste turns light brown
- Add onions and stir till they turn crispy and golden brown
- Add the chopped vegetables, cashews and almonds. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the Khasi red rice and sauté till the rice is roasted. Add 600 ML or 3 cups of lukewarm water and cook for 10 mins in low heat.
- Add salt to taste and cover the pan
- After 10 mins, your Khasi red rice pulao is ready! Sprinkle the leftover cashews and almonds on the top for garnishing and serve while hot.
Pulao recipe with a Meghalaya twist
The authenticity of a pulao recipe is retained in this recipe and we prepared it pretty much the same as your regular pulao but with Khasi red rice twist.
Unlike your regular pulao which uses Basmati rice, this pulao with Khasi red rice will give you a vibrant lunch or dinner experience. Remember, it is a complete vegan meal.
Do you know of any other recipe using Khasi red rice?