Zedoary (botanical name Curcuma zedoaria) is also known as white turmeric. It is an ancient spice, which is closely related to the normal turmeric (Curcuma Longa) and is indigenous to India and Indonesia. In India, zedoary white turmeric rhizome is widely used in local perfumes, and, the flowers are used in rituals performed during festivals. The flowers of zedoary white turmeric are bright pink and rather attractive to look at, and, are used both for culinary as well as therapeutic purposes.
This white turmeric is basically a rhizome (an underground stem) with a delicate brownish skin and a vividly orange-hued, firm, interior. An aromatic spice whose scent is like that of turmeric – warm, zesty and woody.
In Meghalaya, the locals make a salad with the matured zedoary flowers. It has an interesting and unique taste. We bring you a recipe from the kitchen of Zizira! Agreed, it is not easy to get hold of the Zeodary flower – but if you do, please do try out this recipe.
Here is a quick & easy recipe for Zedoary white turmeric salad:
Ingredients (for two people)
- 160 grams Zedoary flower (10 medium sized flowers)
- 2 tablespoon perilla seed (roasted)
- 1 ½ tablespoon chopped onions
- ½ tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Take ten pieces of zedoary white turmeric flowers, boil them for about 3 hours in a deep saucepan. Then let it cool for about 10 minutes. Take out the boiled flowers from the saucepan and squeeze out the water from each flower.
(Note: the color of the flower changes from pink to grayish purple and this turns the water greenish in color)
- Now slice and chop these squeezed flowers into small pieces and place it in a bowl.
- Next pre-heat a pan at medium heat and roast the perilla seeds for 10 minutes or till its aroma is released. Powder finely using a grinder. Using a mortar and pestle to powder will be better, as it will help the oil to ooze out of the seeds. This will give a smoothness to the salad and will add to the taste too.
- Add the chopped onions and ground perilla seeds to the bowl and toss well. For adding more zest. mix in some chopped ginger and squeeze lemon juice to taste. Add salt to taste.
- Serve it fresh!
Do you know of any salad recipe that is a bit unusual? Share it with us in the comment sections below.