Easy Spice Storage Method
Turmeric, a significant spice in Indian cooking is always near at hand when in the kitchen. It is a spice present in nearly all Indian dishes. But, this does not mean you place them next to your stove. Warm places are in fact, the worst places to store your spices because they can quickly lose their flavor and strength. Its quality also gets reduced if stored in a freezer and places with high moisture content. An Easy spice storage method for preserving Lakadong turmeric is to store them in a dry and dark place ideally a wall rack or a closed closet which does not receive direct sunlight. This way, the turmeric will be able to retain its freshness for a long time.
Follow these simple spice storage steps to keep Lakadong turmeric fresh for a long time:
- Store the turmeric in air tight containers and remember to close the lid of the container tightly as soon as you finish using it.
- Colored bottles are a better option to store the turmeric as light does not enter colored bottles. If you are using clear bottles, remember to store them in closed cabinets or wall racks which do not receive direct sunlight.
- Store it away from stoves, ovens, windows and do not keep it on the top of a refrigerator because the heat emitted from them causes the spice to lose its strength.
- Before storing the spice in air tight containers, make sure the turmeric as well as the bottle is thoroughly dried because the presence of moisture will cause the turmeric powder to develop molds.
- Since turmeric is a ground spice and its shelf life are shorter compared to whole spices, it is advisable to use it within twelve months from the date of storing it to your preferred container.
- Avoid storing it in plastic containers for a long time as this may absorb the smell of the plastic which is not very healthy.
Turmeric can also be better preserved by:
- Giving it a monthly check up – To check the freshness of turmeric, bring the stored container up to your nose and feel the pleasant odor of turmeric greeting you. The strong fragrant smell will indicate the freshness of turmeric whereas a weak smell will indicate a lost in pungency and strength.
- Throwing old spices out – Even though proper storage helps maintain freshness and flavor, it is important to know when to throw them out because turmeric, being a ground spice is very susceptible to deterioration, especially if not stored well.
- Using dry spoons – Use a dry spoon to take out measured quantities of the turmeric because a wet spoon can cause the moisture to reduce the flavor and taste of the turmeric.
Turmeric is best when fresh, so follow these simple spice storage steps to get the best out of it. Remember that it is very important to store turmeric properly because it’s magic lies in its freshness and flavor.
Want to add colors to your health and food? Visit our store.