1. What is Lakadong turmeric?
Lakadong turmeric is a high altitude, special variety of turmeric known for its high medicinal benefits. It grows in the village of Lakadong, in Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya.
What makes it so special?
There is a lot of speculation about this and there is no accurate answer. But some of the factors that gives Lakadong turmeric its quality are:
- The high altitude, cool climate, abundant rain, the quality of the soil, the ancient variety of turmeric, and traditional farming methods.
- Lakadong Turmeric is known for its medicinal qualities. The Curcumin content in Lakadong Turmeric is between 6 to 9% (last tested in 2019), which is one of the highest, as against a mere 2 to 3% in most varieties of turmeric.
- Lakadong Turmeric (Curcuma Longa) is indigenous to Meghalaya and Geographical Indications(GI) registration has been obtained by The Spices Board of India on 26th July, 2015. Despite many of its clones, Lakadong's uniqueness has never been usurped.
2. Why is the turmeric called Lakadong?
It is grown in a region near the village of Lakadong in Meghalaya India. Lakadong is a very remote small village near the border of Assam. They have their own unique dialect that is only spoken by a few nearby villages. To communicate more widely they speak the broader tribal language of Khasi. Much of the farming near Lakadong is traditional slash and burn. This means that after a new wild plot of land is selected for growing, the weeds and brush are cut and burned then turmeric is planted. After a few years, the land is left to go back to weeds and regenerate.
3. Which months is Lakadong turmeric harvested? How is it grown?
Lakadong turmeric rhizome is harvested from the ground from the months of December – April.
The turmeric is grown on small family farms. Typical the work is done by hand by the farmer family and a few hired hands. Due to the hilly terrain and since farms are small, using equipment is not feasible.
4. How is Lakadong turmeric processed?
Zizira set up a mini in-house processing unit to maintain the quality standard of our products. We invented simple low-cost bamboo solar dryers and wood burning dryers with aluminium heat exchangers. The turmeric is washed, sliced, dried, powdered and packaged by our own team.
5. Do you buy from different farmers each year?
We are trying to build long-term relationships with farmers so that we can work together to improve the quality of the best turmeric for our customers. We go way beyond fair trade. We partner with farmers enable them to benefit from processing. They can earn more and we can create greater value for our customers.
6. Can I grow Lakadong turmeric in my garden?
Yes, you can use Lakadong turmeric roots and grow them in the garden. It will thrive in fertile soil and you can use manure and vermicompost. However, the only downside is that the curcumin content of the Lakadong turmeric will vary. The reason is that the curcumin content of Lakadong turmeric is affected by the microclimate of the area where it is grown. The fertile land, microclimate and hilly terrain of Jaintia Hills contribute to its high curcumin content.
7.What is the secret behind Zizira Lakadong turmeric?
At Zizira we are committed to your health and well-being, including mental well-being. We are also concerned that you get your money’s worth and peace of mind while you invest to solve health and wellness issues. That is why we bring to you the best turmeric the world has to offer, none other than Lakadong turmeric.
Here's the secret of Zizira Lakadong Turmeric:
- Each of Lakadong turmeric product is from a fresh batch, harvested during the turmeric season.
- Curcumin content of our Lakadong turmeric is at a range above 7.5 to 9.20 %.
- Zizira Lakadong turmeric is free from pesticide, fertilizers and is grown only using indigenous traditional farming.
- Zizira Lakadong turmeric is also tested for the presence of heavy metals and it is free from heavy metals.
- We source our Lakadong turmeric only from the best farmers that we have partnered with.
- We understand the problem of adulteration in turmeric. Which is why we process our Lakadong turmeric in-house. Triple -washed for making sure each turmeric finger is extra clean.
And lastly, the Lakadong country is itself a secret. If you want to find our more from where Zizira gets the purest Lakadong turmeric. Read this article.
7. Where can I get Lakadong turmeric rhizome?
Zizira sells only the Lakadong turmeric fingers which you can plant in the soil. The roots will mature into a mother rhizome which will produce more turmeric roots and fingers. This may take a longer time to mature. This is also why farmers store the mother rhizome seed for the next planting season as it is easier for them to yield turmeric fingers faster.