What Is Intentional Living
Intentional living is living with an aim or purpose, it a choice to do something in a certain way. To be intentional you must be fully aware of your thoughts and presence. How do you want to feel today? What will bring you the most productivity? Is your body telling you it needs to rejuvenate and rest? How are your interactions with those you care about most? What energy are you putting out into the world?
With an intentional lifestyle, you are living a more purposeful life. You are being present and aware. As we learn to become more intentional, we are learning to pay attention and focus on what is going around us; learning a new way to lead a simpler and healthier lifestyle that creates more headspace for true happiness.
“Intentional living is any lifestyle based on an individual or group’s attempt to live according to their value and beliefs” (Source)
Intentional living also includes being mindful that you do not just drift through life but to live with a purpose. And to live responsibly as “the good citizen” certainly requires intentionality.
As we have come to know that the present culture of the world is busy, hectic and fast so what gets channeled to our mind is that we need an excess of everything to become more efficient. It is a society that is always rushing to gain more. So, to live a more intentional lifestyle it is almost counter-instinctive.
Being intentional is looking for the reason why, when you make choices. It can be as simple as deciding to buy groceries or the greasy processed food to eat for supper later in the evening. There are many more instances such as this where we choose to intentionally be unhealthy or healthy.
It is a set of choices that you make consistently which is inspiring to you and others and creates the clarity that you truly desire.
Why Begin With Intentional Living
As we all transcend values to one another starting at home. We do it by giving or receiving it from our loved ones. In other words, we are learning the meaning of value from our family and friends.
And if we live in a home where we have more of what we need and we are constantly pursuing and accumulating more and more. We may be failing to live up with our own values, such as having unnecessary things in our lives. In no time, we may be inculcating such culture in our homes unintentionally.
We need to realize that all these things that we own are keeping us away from living life to the fullest. We all need to be aware that we may be involved in taking care of things that didn’t matter much as to doing things that matter such as connecting more with your family.
For instance, you can spend the whole Sunday morning cleaning things in your storage room (things you do not need and probably have stored away) instead of spending quality time with your family.
We have to be aware that the collection of your belonging has become so unintentional that we are getting consumed away with consumerism.
We buy all these things that we do not need to have.
You may ask yourself why to do you have the things in your room? Are those things enriching your life? Are you living intentionally with what you have?
Keep only the things that need and give away the rest that you do not need.
How to Get Started With Intentional Living
If you’re seeking to live intentionally then the way to get started is to begin by asking yourself the why or the reason you’re making these decisions or taking the necessary actions.
Even if you do not have everything figured out there are steps to get started with intentional living.
- Be responsible. If you have been putting off a lot of things or blame others or circumstances for decision or action that you take then it is time for you to take the responsibility. Accepting and taking responsibility is your first step to living an intentional lifestyle. It can be as simple as reaching on time. If you are intentional about reaching on time, you will make sure that you do.
- Respect your decision. Okay so now you have started with the intentional lifestyle but how do you maintain it? The only way you can is by respecting and making the decision to make the right choices every day. It requires a conscious effort to make these choices.
- Be mindful. Being mindful or aware can be as simple as how you are treating your body. Are you eating right or sleeping right? If both the answers are a resounding no, then you should start by asking why? Why are you making the choices that are stressful for your body? If you are intentional about keeping your body healthy, you will make the choice be one. Yes, you can choose to take a walk instead of hopping into a vehicle to reach an appointment.
- Be grateful. Admit it, we are all guilty of concentrating on the negative aspect of others. We nit-pick, we complain or are just never quite pleased. But do we feel good about it? No, so why not intentionally foster an attitude of being grateful and see things from a more positive perspective. Getting excited for a friend’s success even when you’re having a bad day can make all the difference on how you can impact someone’s life.
- Be purposeful. We may think it is hard to be purposeful with such busy schedules of going to work, school or just getting frozen with your daily whirlwind. But being purposeful can be as simple as maintaining a good friendship. Wherever your friend maybe, mailing them a birthday card, as cliché, as it sounds, can increase the quality of your friendship.
- Meditate when needed. Everyone’s idea of meditating maybe different, maybe you’re someone who loves walking in the forest, or reading a book or sitting on a yoga mat by the lake. The essence is to make time do things that makes you happy, get you relaxed and recharged. It takes being intentional to recognize things that are good for you.
Now all you have to do is embrace the journey of living an intentional lifestyle. It is something that you may not be able to do in a day but you can start to become an intentional lifestyle practitioner.
“When we amplify the best within us, we can achieve something miraculous” – Brendon Burchard
Zizira Evolves Towards Intentional Living
Zizira is moving towards supporting intentional living, we want to create and help people realize that they have a choice to live more intentionally. We are going to do this by “creating”, “re-creating” possibilities where we enable intentional people the freedom to choose from a set of Zizira’s collection and see how it impacts their lives and others. We want to encourage you to shop intentionally, to invest in ethical wisdom and use knowledge as a tool to live consciously.
We at Zizira are moving towards releasing choices or things that no longer serves us, towards “less is more”. We are un-learning and relearning how we look at our lives, how we look at our business and moving towards sustainable regenerative business. We want to intentionally develop the potential of local people in villages of Northeast India by intentionally pursuing profit. And by pursuing profit we are pursuing our purpose of developing the people.
Zizira wants you to join us in this journey towards impactful intentional living. Subscribe to our newsletter for more. We are also open to insights and strategies so feel free to share in the comment section.